Me and Pilates; Pilates and I


I’m exploring pilates. I‘ve heard about it for years but dismissed it as a faddish 90's workout. To be effective, Pilates requires concentration and ability to multi-task. Breathing correctly is important; inhale deeply through the nose, exhale gently thru soft lips. Huh?  For me, breathing is multi-tasking. Not only do I forget to breath, but I hold my breath until I almost pass out.


 My initial introduction was pre Portugal, pre Corona. I checked into the YWCA, found the Pilates studio. The instructor was a model-thin woman, a single line of sweat dripping down her radiant cheek. Great. I hated the place already. I could not quite believe I was handing over $ to exercise. I am a reasonable person. I live near a walking trail. I own a pair of sneakers. Why not just put them on and go walking?


 My instructor took me to the “Reformer”, a long, low, bedlike apparatus with a flat, padded carriage that slid back and forth the length of the bed. It made a dentist's chair look friendly. She had me lie on my back, knees bent with feet on a raised steel bar at the end of the apparatus. I was to straighten my legs as I pulled in my stomach.


The carriage, which is set on three long springs, was difficult to slide out, then snapped back against the end of the apparatus with a loud ''Bang!'' that echoed through the studio. Heads turned. The next time, I was told, do it smoothly, no banging. And I was told to stop arching my back. Pilates exercises are designed to protect and strengthen the back. OMG! 50 mins to go; 10 more sessions. What was I thinking! I’m 75!!!


To my surprise, I came to have a cordial relationship with the Reformer. I was disappointed when the Y closed because of the virus.


My interest was piqued by the Y’s many on-line classes; specifically Pilates Mat. I signed up, despite my cousin’s advice. She’s a 20+ year Pilates veteran. “Probably not a good idea, really strenuous.” I’m bendy, I can handle strenuous. The 1st session; I hook up my PC to my TV. I’ve got my leggings on and my bootees. Mats on the floor … log in, I’m good to go. The pic appears, a very close up of a stranger’s nose. Messages are flashing across the screen “###, please turn off your camera.” You mean you have to worry about being on camera! That rattled me.


I lasted 20 minutes of the 1 hr class. I still haven’t made it passed 30 mins.


Somedays I end up just lying there watching the screen. And then get up to get a snack. There you have it!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Was and Is Now

Week 7 - Cova 19 Isolation